Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Why I Box



The first time I imagined myself boxing was when I saw the movie Cinderella Man. The movie brilliantly depicts the mental strength of a boxer. The fighter Jim Braddock is getting the hell beat out of him, he has broken ribs and so much pain he can't even see straight and he makes the decision that he will not lose the fight. He stays on his feet, he keeps hitting and he wins. Every time I see it I realize that fighters have been doing that exact thing for centuries and I want to do it too. I want that kind of strength.

I feel like I have to get that kind of strength.

For the past few years, I've had a very strong feeling that something terrible is coming my way and that I'm not going to be strong enough to face it. I have no idea what the terrible thing might be; I just know I need to develop as much strength as possible and boxing seemed like a good way to do it. It took me me five years to build up the courage to even set foot in a gym but the decision has put my life on the right path. I feel myself getting stronger and my endurance increasing every day. I've become friends with some of the most inspiring people on earth: fighters. Best of all, the unsettling feeling of impending doom has left me. I feel like boxing will prepare me for any challenge I have to face. Boxing makes me feel fearless because I know I am on the right path. It's is the hardest thing I've ever done and I really believe that if I can learn to fight then I can do anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment